In order to establish a democratic social dialogue in order to achieve lasting and stable social peace and active involvement of all social partners in the decision-making process on the most important issues of economic and social importance for the development of the local community, Economic and Social Councils were established.
Within several initiatives, the process of establishing a Local Economic and Social Council (LESC) was conducted in a total of 15 municipalities throughout the country, including Bitola, Skopje, Veles, Struga, Kumanovo, Strumica, Kicevo, Sveti Nikole, Radovish, Tetovo, Resen and Stip. These councils have a consultative – advisory function and consider issues and give opinions, proposals and recommendations to the Municipal Council and other bodies on certain issues in the economic and social sphere.
The LESCs have a consultative-advisory function and consider issues and give opinions, proposals and recommendations to the Municipal Council and other bodies on certain issues in the economic and social sphere. The LESC is established to achieve the following common goals of the social partners:
– establishing, encouraging and developing social dialogue between the social partners and harmonizing their different views and interests at the local level;
– establishing, encouraging and developing dialogue at the local level between the public and private sector;
– establishing and strengthening the links between the needs of the labor market defined by the business entities and the skills that are developed among the youth through the education system;
– exchange of opinions and information and reaching agreement on important economic and social issues within the scope of local self-government (review of key development documents of the municipality that have an impact on the economic and social development of the municipality;
– initiating joint initiatives for modification of existing and decision-making within the competence of the local self-government
– participation in the creation of legal solutions that affect the material and social position of employees, unemployed, bankrupt workers and redundant workers, retirees, youth, women, etc.;
– development of collective bargaining, negotiation and concluding collective agreements at the level of enterprises and institutions;
– monitoring and assessing the impact of local policies on economic and social stability, development and living standards in the municipality;
– monitoring the employment situation and proposing measures to encourage employment and harmonize the educational process with the needs of the labor market;
– reviewing and proposing measures for improving the quality of life of the citizens in the municipality;
– encouraging methods for peaceful resolution of collective / individual labor disputes at the local level;
– mutual information on important issues from the activity of the social partners;
– publishing magazines, brochures and other publications within the scope of the LESC.
The members of the LESC are the representatives of the employers, trade unions and representatives of the Municipal Council, while the local ministries, representatives of the regional units of the state administration, the Employment Agency and the local civil society organizations and associations, as well as other actors can have their representatives.
An important element of the work of the LESC is the active involvement of stakeholders to identify opportunities and continuously implement local solutions to their specific challenges in the labor market, especially to establish local dynamics for job creation. OEM sees the establishment of LESCs as a mechanism for promoting cooperation between citizens and local government, which directly leads to transparent, accountable and socially-inclusive governance at the local level and also contributes to the direct involvement of all stakeholders in creating a strategy for sustainable community development.
From the motivation and understanding of the Mayors for the usefulness of the social dialogue as a tool for creating policies from the economic, social and educational sphere at the local level will depend on the efficiency of the bodies as bodies in policy making in order to raise productivity and efficiency of the economy at the local level, development of the municipality and increase of the living standard and the satisfaction of the citizens in general.